Period appropriate capital S-hed
I wrote this one evening a couple of weeks ago, after a too large glass of wine, but thought you might enjoy it anyway. The pics are still coming, dammit.
Hey, it's only May. Give us a break. What do you think we are - The Devil Queen?
Seriously though folks, I was outta town for a month there in April. Yes, I managed to wrangle a week of work in New Zealand, followed by two weeks vacation with family and friends. Lovely to see everyone down there, but also nice to come (dare I say it?) home again.
The house is coming along. The last time we left you, PK was building a Shed. With a capital S. It's probably THE most period appropriate Shed I've ever seen. Exposed rafter tails. Knee joints - whatever those are! Even it's own little dinky "stacking" door so we can load floor boards straight into the - errr - loading area without having to - I don't know - open the main hanger doors?
This Shed took a fair amount of time to construct, with no small help from friends (thanks friends!) Upon my arrival back in the States, (and after my two day bout of stomach flu) I was filled with the milk of human kindness. Must have been all those grapes I ate while I was poorly. I figured PK had spent enough of his hard earned time (and money) on this Shed and it was about time I put a bit of effort in. So I volunteered to paint it. Not with colored paint mind you - I wasn't that silly to commit to a whole project (we did only paint our living and dining rooms a few months ago, so the memory of that hellish Thanksgiving weekend is still fresh.)
No, I volunteered for the "easy" job of priming the confernal structure. Easy peasy I thought - I'll have two coats on there in no time. PK suggested we borrow a friends paint sprayer, but I declined - how hard could this be? (Has my memory really gotten this bad?)
Little did I realise what the downside to "period appropriate" was. It means lots of additional little wooden bits to paint - rafters, palings, the gaps between palings and doors (but not hinges).
Needless to say, I got one coat on last weekend without getting into the gaps between the "boards" in the siding before calling it quits. The paint sprayer arrives next weekend. Bring it on I say. (Pictures to follow. I promise.)
This weekend just gone we had fun and good times removing nails from floor boards. The nice part about this (no, really) is that instead of just me having a bitchingly sore arm and hand, I have a sore hand, while PK has a sore arm. This was because we decided to tag team the nail removal instead of just having one person do it (alright, so last time PK may have been tearing out the floorboards with a WonderBar and his bare hands while I removed the nails, but let's not get bogged down in details.)
I believe we have effectively proven that Kyptonite is indeed not the hardest substance known to man - 95 year old oak floor boards are. They DO NOT want to relinquish their hold on their beloved little 3 inch nails. We have tried everything - talking rationally, cajoling, crying, nay even an intervention did not convince them they were better off without their little metallic friends. So we had to resort to brute force. And it wasn't pretty. I can't help but think of nail pullers as a torture device, and I'm still not sure it wasn't us being tortured. Half the boards down, half to go.
I'll get some pics soon, honest.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home