Progress
Figured we should post an update. The Living room and dining room are basically done. Both rooms have been stripped to the studs, rewired and insulated and then received new floors, walls and ceilings.


The China Buffet was a salvage find.



AK has been wanting to learn the piano for a while. We looked around and found a 1908 Melville Clark Player piano. The player mechanism is toast, but after a cash infusion the piano is playable and sounding good.


Here is a reminder of what we started with.
Dining Room:

Living Room:

China Buffet:

The china buffet will eventually recess fully into the wall. Currently the other side of the wall is supporting our kitchen cabinets. We’ll leave the buffet as a free standing unit until we redo the kitchen.
You may have noticed the “toy” cars sitting on the buffet. They’re models from the 40’s and 50’s called tether cars – the precursor for today’s slot cars and radio control models. Here is a closer view of a 1940’s Dooling “Frog”. The small motor in front is a 40’s era .60cu in Hornet.

I’m not sure what it is, but I really do like these. I first came across them a couple of years ago and now try and keep an eye out for them whenever I’m at a swap meet.

7 Comments:
Looks great! What did you use on the china cabinet as fas as stain and/or finish? It looks exactly like the original woodwork in my home, and I'd like to replicate it. Thanks!
This comment has been removed by the author.
hey can you get Andrea to contact me? we've lost each other since we shared those houses in Mt Eden and Remuera! before we both left the country... I'm now living in London but would love to catch up on what you guys are doing now.
Katherine Mitchell
dohicky98@hotmail.com
i sortof preferred the tree. I would've kept one but thats my personal taste:) How do you plan on maintaining those gorgeous hardwood? I personally use floor refresher for two years now.
Beautiful job you guys! I love all of the wood that you added to the dining room... and the built-ins are really nice.
We stripped all of the trim in our front rooms also, and had a buffet built to fit modified to open into the kitchen, mainly to give the tiny kitchen a more spacious feeling.
Removing the trees .... at least now I can focus on the attractive light pole in your front yard.
Brilliant move
Hey! tell me more about China Buffet. Actually, I want to know more about this. Please share your updated post, I wanna see and read about that.
Post a Comment
<< Home